The British Chess Company (BCC) was founded by William Moffatt (1843-1918) and William Hughes and began manufacturing chess pieces in 189, as an attempt to compete against Jaques of London. The BCC developed new manufacturing processes with new types of materials, such as celluloid for their chess pieces. In 1891, the BCC registered the design for two of their chess sets: the Royal Chessmen and the Imperial Staunton.
This is a splendid example of a BCC board. It's aged beautifully to a lovely 'honeyed' colour and has an interesting provenance inscribed on the back.