The British Chess Company (BCC) was founded by William Moffatt (1843-1918) and William Hughes and began manufacturing chess pieces in 1891, as an attempt to compete against Jaques of London. The BCC developed new manufacturing processes with new types of materials, such as celluloid for their chess pieces. In 1891, the BCC registered the design for two of their chess sets: the Royal Chessmen and the Imperial Staunton.
This is a splendid example of a mahogany and boxwood BCC board. It has the British Chess Company stamp on the frame. at the bottom of each right hand corner. BCC boards and sets are rare and much sought after by discerning collectors.