James Collard Vickery and his then partner, Arthur Thomas Hobbs, bought up the long established business of William Griggs, a stationer and bookseller at 183, Regent Street in c.1890. William Griggs had been at 183 Regent street as early as 1843 and 1854. Continuing alone after 1891, Vickery extended his premises in 1900 to 179, 181 and 183 Regent Street, with showrooms to the rear at 1 New Burlington Place selling luxury goods to the carriage trade including silver, jewellery and clocks.
JC Vickery obtained the following royal warrants:
HM the King, HM the Queen, HM Queen Alexandra, TRH the Prince and Princess of Wales, HM the King of Portugal, HM the King of Spain, TM the King and Queen of Denmark, HM the Queen of Norway, HM the King of Sweden, and Prince and Princess Christian of Schleswig Holstein.