Outstanding chess set and board. Both signed. Genuinely rare. James Leuchar established the business at 47, Piccadilly in 1794, and the business moved to 38 Piccadilly shortly before James Leuchars died in 1823. As with similar business in Fleet Street (Lund and Clavert), Leuchars specialised in luxury goods for the carriage trade: in 1837 the firm was awared the royal warrant for supplying dressing cases to the royal family.
The set is in immaculate condition.