Very nice late 19th century English leather chess board. The blind-stamped Gothic Tracery on the reverse side is identical to the stamped decoration found on the boards made and sold by William Leuchars of Piccadilly.
Leuchars was established at 47 Piccadilly, London in 1794 by James Leuchars. In 1820, the business moved to 38 Piccadilly shortly before James Leuchars died in 1823. In 1884, Leuchars moved their existing manufactory from 31 Gerrard Street, Soho, London to 8 Sherwood Street, Golden Square, London.
Asprey bought the business in 1888, but Leuchars continued to trade from their 38 & 39 Piccadilly address until 1902.